- All in all, a good advocacy document. Download it here and please share further as relevant.
It has been a month since I started implementing a project called “10+ Her Period Her Pride” as a Women Deliver young leader for the class of 2020. About 40 girls in Lilongwe district have been trained on how to make reusable sanitary pads.
Although the project is intended to reach about 300 girls, but what about the rest of the girls who will not be able to access the training workshops due to the limited financial resources at my disposal? The project’s proposed ripple effect works by enabling the trainees under this project to train many other girls within their communities.
But again, what about the other girls who are also struggling to access menstrual hygiene products (sanitary pads) in other districts across Malawi?
This is why the project is advocating for improved access to sanitary pads among primary and secondary school girls.
No girl should miss classes due to lack of sanitary pads.
As a young leader, I have done my part and I am calling upon the Government of Malawi to allocate adequate resources towards menstrual hygiene in primary and secondary schools. For instance, removing tax on sanitary products would go a long way towards achieving this goal.
Girls should not fail to enjoy their rights to equality, health and education due to menstruation.
I feel that there is need for some innovative thinking in striving to achieve this. For instance, the Ministry of Education should include the making of sanitary pads within the school curricula.
Education is the most powerful tool which we can use to improve access to sanitary pads among school girls, thereby contributing to ending period poverty in Malawi.
This is a unique signature leadership programme, led by Youth Wave, that aims at building the next generation of servant and selfless youth leaders who are passionate and committed to changing the lives of young people and impacting communities by solving the world's toughest challenges using innovative solutions in sustainable ways. The Changemakers have track record of leadership skills and are drawn national- wide from youth-led NGO’s, networks, clubs, institutions of higher learning and other development structures at national, district and community level. The programme involves tailor-made capacity building designed to necessitate personal growth and development. The programmatic focus areas are: Health, Gender, education, Civic engagement and Advocacy (social accountability).
- Be on the ground doing the work and ability to use the power of digital media
- Belong to a registered youth-led organisation or network
- Good understanding of SDG’s and be between 16 and 30 years old
Roles of Changemakers
- Inspiring and mobilising others to implement change process
- Thinkers who use problem-solving skills to deal with problems related to change.
- Support youth leaders and making the case for change again and again. Identifying a cause near to their heart and leading change
- Access to funding opportunities
- Joint proposal development, fundraising and resource mobilisation
- Networking platform with bright young minds
- Spotlight in the Changemakers Waveflash
- Catalyst for personal and professional growth
- Opportunities for capacity building, and
- Supportive global village for youth leaders.
Instructions for applying
Send as a Word document or PDF, the application should contain the following:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Your work (already done, being done or planned).
Government of Malawi has gazetted rules and regulations, under Public Health Act and have taken a strong stand on mandatory wearing of masks in public places as a measure to contain the public health crisis COVID -19 pandemic.
With the surge increase of numbers of COVID-19 positive cases that is causing more damage including deaths, Hon Khumbize Kandodo Chiponda who is the Minister of Health in exercise of powers vested in her under the Public Health Act, has issued the subsidiary legislation on Coronavirus and COVID-19 aimed accelerating the efforts in containing the pandemic.